Wednesday, December 3, 2008

One Week Left


As the countdown continues I am running around shopping like a mad woman...three trips to Target in the last two days! (I think my car knows the way there on it's own). I just got updated measurements on Nathan yesterday. He now weighs 37.5 pounds and is 39" tall! We didn't get a picture though :( My friend Stacy's little boy just turned four and he is about the same size as Nathan. Stacy was so kind in giving as a bag of Ray's clothes. So nice to be able to bring some of them with us in case the 4T stuff is too big. Nathan's a big boy...that is if the measurements are accurate. They were a little off with Emily's measurements we we got her...she was a little lighter. The weather in Beijing has been hovering at 35 degrees with the weather in GZ around 72 degrees. So I think I've got enough warm clothes for Beijing and I thought I'd just layer him and Emily. That's as far as I've gotten with packing. Nothing in the suitcase yet but stacked all on Nathan's bed.

Emily and I have been having interesting conversations lately. She's been asking me to tell her the story about how she got the small scar on her arm (curling iron burn). She LOVES it when I begin..."When you were a little baby...". You should see her face light up. Today Emily and I were driving around trying to get her to nap (I should say I was trying to get her to nap...she had other things in mind) when she asked me to tell her the story about her adoption. We've never really discussed it before and I think all the talk about adopting Nathan brought it to her attention. So I began "When you were a little baby you lived in China like Nathan..." She listened the first time I told her the toddler version and then she added things to the story as I retold it. It was one of those times you wish you had it on tape! She is such an amazing little girl! It made me realize that while I was running around trying to get ready for Nathan and our trip, I had a little girl absorbing everything that's been going on around her. I need to cherish these last few days with Emily and whatever I get done around the house is less important.